Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Thursday, June 15, 2006

[Think of Title Later Using the Word "Truthiness" or "Penis Enlargement"]

I recently noticed that my modest little site just passed 2000 visitors. (Drop the balloons! The cheapest you can find!) And then, for the first time ever, I noticed as well that right near the stat there's a little clicky thing that says "See My Stats." So I actually did, and I discovered the following interesting facts:

1.) About 50% of the visitors to my site stay less than five seconds. (Standard search engine ruling out, I imagine.) But 22% stay longer than an hour. Longer than an hour! I must have a huge following in the dial-up community.

2.) 38 of the last 100 visitors came from somewhere else. Nine came from Tomato Nation---a wonderful site (by Sarah Bunting, creator of Television Without Pity) that I can't believe isn't on my "Pardners" list. I'll correct that as soon as I can, Sarah! The other big referrer---six!---was Eric Berlin's site, www.ericberlin.com, which is also thoroughly entertaining and (as you'd expect from a professional editor) well written. Both talk a lot about pop culture, and Eric---who actually works with me in the Dell family---has ruminations on puzzles as well. (He was the first person to make me aware of the typos on the "Wordplay" movie's official website.) You too shall be added, Eric! Thanks much! (Side note: Trip, why don't you have a blog? You were made for it.)

3.) Of the people who came via keyword, the most popular search term that turned up my site was the word "scienciness." Of the remaining 11 search-engine results, someone was searching for "cowboy and chicken joke," someone searched for "jentacular" (I assume they have a friend named Jen), and at least one person came to me from a search for "Nick diPaolo." Most interestingly to me---perhaps because it's the least surprising---one of them came as a result of a search for "weird areola." I doubt this person stayed for more than an hour. When I'm doing searches like that, I find I'm often pressed for time.

4.) The other people who came from other sites always came from my Blogger "About Me" page. But as near as I can tell, Blogger doesn't even have a search function. How are these folks doing it?

5.) Finally, half of my traffic involves return visitors. Thanks, y'all! Give me your site names and I'll return to you too!

I ran across some notes I made about Carlos Mencia that I want to dump later---maybe at lunch. In the meantime, I gotta get my bus. Excelsior for now!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trip, along with the rest of the known universe (among NPLers anyway), has a blog. I'll have to send you the full list sometime if you didn't catch it the last time it circulated through the NPL folk mailing list.

6/15/2006 10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You also owe me an email, biotch.

6/15/2006 3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often leave a tab on my broswer open to your page. For hours and hours on end, actually, until I choose to refresh it or restart my computer. Just because the page is open doesn’t mean anyone’s reading it!

If anyone ever read my Blogspot blog, I guess I’d have to think about such things, too. I actually just passed 2,000 hits on my Yahoo 360° blog, but all I can tell is that something like 200 people have looked at the site (dunno where they’re coming from).

Anyway, I can start closing those tabs whenever you want… Give you better statistics.

6/15/2006 6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just click on my name here and you'll go directly to my LiveJournal blog, which I've had since last October. If you check out my User Page, you'll see a long list of friends there, many of whom you know.

6/15/2006 7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You owe me an email, too, biotch.

S.

6/16/2006 10:38 AM  
Blogger Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

I'm writing to Sars now. But who are you, anonymous? I'm sure I'd love to write you, but I don't know where to send the mail.

6/16/2006 11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you owe me an e-mail, but I just want to call you biotch like everyone else is, biotch. (I wonder if spellcheck would suggest "biotech" for that?)

6/16/2006 11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually go with "beeyotch," don't know why I switched that one time.

6/16/2006 1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to your Carlos Mencia observations? I enjoy your dissections other comics' acts.

6/17/2006 5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home