Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Rescuing Missing Letters

I was just looking over my vocabulary poems, and so far I've written 53 of them. But I seem to have centered most of my work on only a few letters. I have never written any poems for words beginning with the letters K, L, M, N, R, S or T. And I also only have one each of D,G,H,I,Q and X. So look for those letters in particular in the near future. (And if those of you who've been on my list for a while can disprove this, let me know; it means I haven't saved all my poems.)

In the meantime, let me share something vexing. TBS is running ads on the subways that are part of their "Humor Analysis" series where they invite viewers to log on and vote on various questions about what is funny. The most recent one reads as follows:

Which of these sitcoms, based on anagrams of SEX AND THE CITY, would be the funniest?

a. THE TIDY SEX CANS
b. TAXED HEN CITY
c. EX CADET SETH
d. ICY SETH AND TEX T.

There are two major problems with this ad. The first is that, in a REAL anagram, you don't repeat any of the words in the original phrase. So on the basis of elegance alone, a real puzzler would disqualify every one of those fake sitcoms except for EX CADET SHINY.

The second problem is worse. None of the purported sitcoms are actually anagrams of SEX AND THE CITY. a. has an extra S, b. has one S too few, c. is missing a T, and d. has an extra T.

Since TBS clearly needs to work harder on its anagram skills, I hereby offer the following prospective sitcoms. Which do you think sounds the funniest?

a. SHY, DECENT TAXI
b. EX-YENTA'S DITCH
c. DAN: SHITTY EXEC
d. SIXTY CENT HEAD

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's gotta be DAN: SHITTY EXEC. That would be a great show!

6/06/2006 11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno, Dave... I'm torn between Dan: Shitty Exec and Sixty Cent Head. Maybe the latter could be about a crack whore?

The second offering would be better as a plural instead of a possessive: "Ex-Yentas Ditch." I think.

Or maybe... Every episode of the "Dan: Shitty Exec" show would have a title that is also an anagram. The possibilities may not be "endless," but I doubt the show would make it past the first season anyway.

-Bri

6/07/2006 6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've has some sixty cent head. Nothing funny about it.

6/08/2006 12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SHY, DECENT TAXI deserves some acclaim but would never demand it. Ambulates emptily. Full of bash.

6/08/2006 6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home