Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Friday, May 09, 2008

This American Life Parody

Stop everything and follow this link to a damn near pitch-perfect "This American Life" parody called "Going Postal." The comedian in question (Kasper Hauser) must have listened to fifty episodes, because he even gets Ira Glass's cadence and pauses basically correct. Impressive and hilarious.

This is, to my mind, much better than The Onion's "This American Life" parody, which only felt about half-successful to me: it nailed Sarah Vowell and certain types of repeated stories, but had the overall tone wrong--I don't think you could call the show "smug" or even "upper-middle class" with any claim to accuracy. Maybe I'm sensitive because they've been so good to me, but I found their satire rankled in a way that Hauser's doesn't. So congratulations, Mr. Hauser. You've just raised the bar admirably.

(Thanks to Carolyn Castiglia for tipping me off.)

UPDATE: As Carolyn points out in comments, Kasper Hauser is a sketch comedy troupe in California. I thought the name sounded familiar. I should have looked the guy up: he's a famous feral child of an earlier century. (Though it turns out the name's "Kaspar" with an a.) Here's the address of the wikipedia article since I'm back on the computer that won't let me post links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaspar_Hauser

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

Hey Dave - Kasper Hauser is actually a sketch group in Cali - they're great.

5/09/2008 1:16 PM  
Blogger that atheist guy said...

Hilarious!

5/10/2008 12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home