Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Friday, May 16, 2008

A Jihad For Love

A gay Muslim filmmaker has put together a documentary called A Jihad For Love (using the original meaning of jihad, "struggle," with a view toward wresting it from the murderous lunatic wing). Filmed over 5 1/2 years and in 12 countries, it documents the lives of gay and lesbian Muslims, many of whom live in countries where homosexuality is a criminal offense, if not a capital crime.

I mention this now because it's getting its U.S. debut starting on May 21st at the IFC Theater in New York City, and since I'm still stuck in the country and may not be able to see it, I'm hoping other people can. It'll be running for two weeks--and then will presumably go to other big cities, with (I'm just guessing here) San Francisco pretty close to the top of the list. (At least I hope so, since a friend of mine who would TOTALLY be here at the IFC just moved to SF and will miss it. Heads up, Ryan!)

Here's the website. As I understand it, the producers also did a film about the lives of gay Hasidic Jews called Trembling Before G_d. (Can't comment on it yet, but it's in my Netflix queue.) Their next project will be about gay Unitarians who suffer condemnation because...oh, wait. Unitarians don't condemn anybody! What kind of crazy religion is that?

2 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

I thought Unitarians were agnostics who couldn't give up church suppers. Hmmmm....

As I live in the middle of the midwest, there is almost no chance I'll see that film. People around here are very much afraid that gay people are storming the homes of heterosexual couples and destroying their families.

By the way, have you ever seen a copy of the Homosexual Agenda? I thought I'd been able to sneak one away from the Head Homosexual one time, but I don't recall where I put it now.

5/18/2008 3:59 PM  
Blogger Tristram Shandy said...

Trembling before G_d simultaneously broke my heart and infuriated me. I usually feel inured to the ill effects of religious fundamentalism, but when I see how damaged the people in this film are… It makes me want to gang up with Richard Dawkins and burn the bloody ediface of religion to the ground. Really. I’ve rarely felt so incensed at that which I normally perceive as the “wisdom traditions.”

Ah, deep breath…

Of course, Jihad will show in San Francisco while I’m in Chicago. Grrr. At least it comes back through in August.

6/08/2008 8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home