Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Monday, May 12, 2008

50,000!

As of a few minutes ago, I just passed 50,000 words on my book. That includes the 25,000 words that were in my original proposal, and it means I've written 20,000 words since I started writing in earnest (April 23rd or so). So the good news is, I'm writing really really fast. The odd thing is, I'm nowhere near finished--I feel like I've told maybe a third of the story--and most books are in the 80,000-100,000 range.

The good part of this is that I'm clearly writing too much, which is helpful because that means that the editing process will be mostly trimming, which is way easier than generating missing material. The bad part is that I seem to have slightly less control over the process than I anticipated, and I think I need to lash myself a bit more strongly to my outline if I'm going to avoid writing WAY too much, since I'm trying to operate in a timely fashion, and I only have time for a LITTLE too much--say, 150,000 words or so.

Anyway, the house is free of people for the next three solid days, and this was a 4,000-word day all by itself. At this rate, I can probably hit another 20,000 by the weekend. Won't that be cool?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home