Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Friday, February 08, 2008

The JFK International Urinal Fly

I'd heard about this years ago from (I think) The Straight Dope, but never encountered it until yesterday when I went to visit my friend Dani during her stopover at JFK airport. In the men's bathrooms, they have little pictures of flies etched into the porcelain of the urinals:

The theory, as I understand it, is that high-volume urinals (like the ones at JFK) are expensive to maintain because men (ahem) blast away at the urinal cakes and they require constant replacement. So some genius came up with the idea, "What if we gave men something else to aim at?" I bet it works. When I stood in front of the urinal--just nearby, mind you--the urge to wipe away that fly was quite primal. Anyway, I'm just passing this on (sorry) so those of you who are out-of-town guests can add yet one more thing to the sightseeing list.

Here's another photo, to give a sense of the actual scale:

(PHOTO: The New York urinal fly (musca cloaca) in its natural habitat. [Reuters/AP])

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger airheadgenius said...

This has inspired me to blog my stray poo story. Alternately titled "Why I am a good person". You can probably tell that it, or me for that matter, is (are?) not for the faint of heart.

Howdy Cowboy...

2/09/2008 1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home