Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Monday, February 04, 2008

Meet Beth and Traci

First there was the "E-Bay Atheist," who sold his soul on eBay and promised to go to church for a given number of weeks anywhere the winner requested. This resulted in an interesting book called Jim and Casper Go to Church, where Jim (the atheist) and Casper (the guy who owns his soul and runs a website about exploring new ways to think about Christianity) go to church together and essentially review how successful they are. (They also started, or possibly inspired, a website called churchrater.org, but it's late and I'm too tired to fact-check.)

Now there's a new book in progress by Beth (Christian) and Traci (atheist), who are going to women's church groups together--which seems a worthy niche to me, since church groups are where actual friendships happen. In a sermon, a church announces its faith; in a church group, they tend to show how it's lived. Here's a link to their running blog, which has a lot of funny comments. It's a mode that I enjoy a lot: surface irreverence that's sort of the veneer over a deep and grounded decency.

I should probably add a link to the blog in my Links list, but that would involve learning html, and my to-do list is already plenty full, what with the needing a job and all. Maybe someday I'll be able to hire an actual web guru, and then I'll have the energy to do my fact-checking when I have to.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You don't have to learn HTML to do that anymore with Blogger. When you log in, click "Customize" in the upper right. It will take you to a page where you can edit your layout. It will show a content-less diagram of your layout, and you can choose "Add a Page Element" to add new sections. One of the sections is a link list, and it will give you easy-to-use instructions. It can be done in like 3 minutes.

2/04/2008 4:08 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Actually, Hemant Mehta "sold his soul" on eBay and wrote a book with that title. He blogs as the Friendly Atheist.

The guy that "bought" his soul, Jim Henderson, did a separate book deal with Casper, another atheist, who toured churches with him. That book is "Jim and Casper Go To Church." Jim is behind several blogs and a Christian organization called Off The Map, which includes ChurchRater.

2/04/2008 5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home