Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

12

Still sick--not feverish or achy anymore, just feeling the post-pummeling aftermath, and it ain't pretty. I've actually done a ferocious amount of writing--I'm at 16 pages and the sumbitch is still growing--and I kind of want to hack it into some semblance of shape before I post any part of it. (Plus it would be nice to find good places to break it into bite-sized chunks.) Anyway: soon.

Yesterday I was reminded what I hate about being sick: the waste of time. You just sit around feeling awful, too tired to do anything useful, and in too much pain to sleep, and with nothing to do except keep feeling that way until you don't feel it anymore. Yesterday I did something I never do: I went to Blockbuster (a muzzy-headed five-block walk in cold rain) and rented half of Season 4 of 24. It was a money thing: I was trying to get maximum hours of viewing for my rental dollar (which means hour-long TV drama), and I didn't want anything I already have in my Netflix queue. 24 is perfect for this: I don't have it in my queue because it's terrible to see in parts: you really need just a huge block of episodes in a row--something that's true for almost every serial I've seen, from Veronica Mars to Lost to Heroes. My queue has shows that are basically episodic, without the Big Mystery Arc that has come to characterize so many shows: I'm waiting on Deadwood, Six Feet Under, Dexter, and I think Arrested Development.

Anyway, I got Season 4. I would have rented Season 3 (never seen it), but 4 is literally the only season they had every disk of. (I think we're in a post-rental-store world; they don't seem to have been focusing on maintenance or even presentation.) I've been away for awhile, so I was suprised to see how conservative the show had gotten on me. "Oh, look--they're watching Fox News because this show is on Fox. Oh, look--they're torturing people and it produces reliable information in record time. Oh, look--there's the actress playing Chloe, who's dating Rush Limbaugh. Oh look--here's a commentary track where Joel Surnow mocks a hippie for bicycling." It's probably good for me to see stuff I'm not particularly simpatico with, but still--thank goodness they had a lot of explosions. It helped to drown out the shooting war in my mitochondria.

Today I came home from writing (I tend to write in cafes) and discovered I had three Netflix movies waiting. That's the good news. The bad news is that they were Das Boot, Sunday in the Park with George, and Ken Burns' The Civil War: Disk 2. In order, they are 209 minutes, 163 minutes, and 129 minutes long. And me with the tiredness. It's hard to know which one to flail impotently at first.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Boston Legal is the most Liberal show on television. I see the same, well opposite liberal issues arise on that show. But I still like it.
It's the banter.

1/31/2008 7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home