Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Monday, January 28, 2008

Creationism Break

I had company over a few days ago, and for some reason while I was organizing my books into some kind of guest-friendly shelving, I lost not one, but two Bibles I was going to use to finish the evolution chapter with. And if you need to replace a Bible, what's the one day that the Christian bookstores aren't open and the regular bookstores close early? That's right. Damn!

So I have to buy a Bible tomorrow/today (I'm writing this at 2 am). In the meantime, one of the things I'm hoping to point out is the way in which a literalist, harmonizing pattern of reading the Bible sometimes forces the evangelical in question to assert as "biblical" things that are about a million miles away from anything scripture actually says. This cartoon is a good example, gleaned via Andrew Sullivan's blog. Call it, if you like, your morning headache.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, isn't the whole Bible available online for free somewhere?

Also, go to a used bookstore and save yourself some precious cash, if you must buy a physical copy.

Just some tips because I understand your monetary situation.

-Brian

1/28/2008 7:43 PM  
Blogger Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

I'm ashamed to say it did not occur to me to go to a used bookstore. Not because I'm evil, but because I was focusing basically on stores that are right off the A, C, or the 1. But I knew that every Bible publisher puts out cheap "gift Bibles" that sell for under $10, and I was correct. So I now have a $7.99 copy of the NIV.

However, the used bookstore idea can help me now. I've had, for some reason, an urge to read the essays of Montaigne (I guess as a way of seeing where blogging started), and it'll run you $30-35 even in the cheapo Everyman edition. So I think I'll look for that at The Strand or at one of our other fine used bookstores. Thanks for the reminder!

1/28/2008 8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home