Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Sunday, July 01, 2007

In Case McSweeney's Doesn't Call Back Again, Like Usual...

Here's a very silly short humor piece I wrote that I'm submitting to McSweeney's Internet Tendency. May be a have-sim, maybe they won't even like it. But what keeps happening is I submit to them and then never hear back. So just so this piece avoids the black hole, here it is for the small number of folks who view my blog.


SUGGESTED ADDITIONS TO THE OFFICIAL SCRABBLE PLAYER’S DICTIONARY, SO MY NEXT GAME WON’T END SO BADLY

FAXT – v. & adj. Archaic past tense of “fax.”

HOGO – n. Very obscure regional British term for a salmon, carp or squid.

ZMIRN – v. To express doubt about something perfectly reasonable because you’re afraid to let other people have fun. Possibly Gaelic.

UNBROIL – v. To reverse the effects of broiling through some process or other.

QAJ – n. An Arabic unit of measure equal to one third of a hogshead.

ASSLIKE – adj. Resembling an uptight person like Jamie who needs to check the dictionary for every little thing.

YAUWOII – n. A genus of theoretical bacteria who also move very fast and no one has seen them. Plural: YAUWOIII.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool idea. Just so you know, though, ASSLIKE is in fact Scrabble-legal.

7/01/2007 11:48 PM  
Blogger Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

Oy. I guess I'll have to change it to ASSISH. Thanks for the catch!

7/02/2007 6:47 AM  
Blogger Ken Stern said...

Sorry - "have-sim?"

7/02/2007 7:50 AM  
Blogger Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

Sorry. "Have sim" is a Hallmark term, it means "Have similar" as in, "we've already done that joke and we don't need another version of it." I find it hard to believe that someone hasn't done this joke already, given McSweeney's's predilection for playing with titles and dialogue and other word-obsessed jokery. I'll find out soon, I guess.

7/02/2007 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home