Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Saturday, May 12, 2007

I Occupy Baldwin-Space!

Evidently I blog a lot less when I get really busy. After This American Life, two things happened almost immediately: 1.) I met a potentially interested agent, who I'm trying like hell to perfect my proposal for, and 2.) I got a phonecall and was invited to perform on the Moth's Mainstage.

See, the Moth isn't just storytelling slams. They also do regular storytelling shows, with actual ticket sales and actual paying gigs, and these often include luminaries like Margaret Cho, Lili Taylor, Moby, etc. The show I'm performing in is called "Going South" and will include Tony Hendra (founding brainchild of The National Lampoon, but mostly famous for being Spinal Tap's cricket-bat-wielding manager) and Curt Anderson (founder of Spy Magazine, and now host of NPR's Studio 360). There may be others, including (I presume) folks I already know from storytelling shows around town. (We're about ten in all, I think.) But you know who won't be there? Daniel Baldwin. Apparently he cancelled, and apparently that's why I was called.

So when I perform on Tuesday---a story you may be familiar with, which I call "The Most Heartwarming Wet T-Shirt Contest Ever"---I will actually be occupying the same space as the co-star of John Carpenter's Vampires. (Though it was really James Woods's movie all the way.) Breathing the same air! Hanging out in the same green room, maybe! So this is obscure, loosely defined, VH1's-I-Love-The-Eighties level celebrity! Can someone tie me off? There's a guy here with a great price on smack.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger k8 said...

hey your TAL piece was awesome.

5/19/2007 3:20 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Hello Dave Dickerson, I just found this blog after listening to your piece on This American Life, which I loved and could relate with. Congrats and good luck with your career.

6/10/2007 2:43 AM  
Blogger Red Seven said...

Hey there, Cowboy Dave -- just checking up on the blog to see if there was any news about the book, perhaps some information on how to send an advance copy to Pat Robertson and James Dobson!!

:-)

Keep up the good work ...

6/22/2007 2:50 PM  
Blogger sheralee said...

Dave!

I just listened to your TAL episode and yes, immediately googled you. Wow. You are an incredibly refreshing voice. I'll be back for more and hope to see your book out there soon!

sheralee
(aka bonnie)

6/29/2007 4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home