Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Friday, May 04, 2007

Title Update

While discussing my book with Jane, the director of my piece for This American Life, she referred to it as How To Love God Without Being A Jerk (as opposed to And Not Be), and the more I think about it, the better I like it. (Among other things, it feels more grammatical.) So I have hereby changed the title. Please adjust your schemes of perception accordingly. Thanks.

With any luck, I'll be finished with the proposal in two or three days. The hard part has not been writing material, but finding which material to actually open the book with. I think I've solved the problem now, and I owe it all to Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens, for writing such great books with (alas) such irritatingly snide sentences. It's time someone came out with a polite case for atheism that distinguishes good religion from bad and understands why atheism as we currently conceive of it might not be the most appealing life choice for many people. You're welcome.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Ken Stern said...

I think her title is better - not so much for grammatical reasons, but because it emphasizes the potential link between the two. "And Not Be" indicates that the person may just love god and either be or not be a jerk - no connection. "Without Being" indicates that there's a connection - in fact, that one implies the other, and that someone needs to take action to avoid being a jerk if they love god. Hmm, maybe that's not the exact implication you're going for, but if it is, then great!

5/04/2007 2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh...you're on again! I'm listening right now! This is great, Dave!

Stacey

5/06/2007 11:35 AM  
Blogger fredvond said...

Dave:
I heard your piece on This American Life today, and I think it took some serious balls. It was a particularly difficult and potentially crawlly subject brought off well.

5/06/2007 12:47 PM  
Blogger Jasph said...

Missed your piece, dammit, but will check the NPR site or iTunes. Forgive my last comment--if I'd merely read more closely, I'd have had my questions answered.

Interested to see how the book comes together. I think your distinction between good and bad religion is a much more important distinction to make than an either/or about God's existence.

5/07/2007 5:27 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Dave:

loved the NPR piece. Your voice sounded very Public Radio-esque! Loved the line about stalking.

later dude

-- Jeff L. in Tally

5/08/2007 12:10 AM  
Blogger gVosper said...

You were great on npr, a real breath of honesty. I look forward to being able to read your book.

7/03/2007 4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that there needs to be a polite case for atheism! Am really looking forward to your book coming out, even if that's not quite what it's about.

11/05/2007 11:24 PM  
Blogger Susan Isaacs said...

Hey Dave: Just heard you on NPR. Wasn't sure which way you were going to take the story. Prayze Jesus you got your rocks off and still loved him. I just finished my memoir, "Angry Conversations With God." Being published by FaithWords. It's SO hard to publish an authentic story of faith, because religious people want it all tied up, and secularists want only to hear our rants. I got in my rants, and of course was like Job at the end, "maybe I totally suck." But anyway we're out there! I know a few publishers, maybe your agent's got you in to come good houses. But anyway, LOVED the piece. Check out www.burnsidewriterscollective.com too. I write for them. They are very very cool people who love Jesus but haven't drank the Koolaid. Cheers. SUsan

6/07/2008 2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The following was pasted from the Google line by which I found your blog.
"how to love god without being a jerk" - good decision on the title I guess.
Great piece on TAL. I went through the same type of thing but with a lot less intensity. I remember a certain ground floor dorm room at the University of Richmond in 1962 where the walls were brightly lighted and papered with Playmates.
BTW, have you read Frank Schaeffer's "Crazy for God" and especially the Portofino trilogy? Exquisite!
Good luck with your book.

Art

6/11/2008 12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved your piece on NPR. I can't wait for your book!

7/17/2008 7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seriously think there needs to be an entire series of "... Without Being a Jerk" books. "How to Be a Republican/Democrat Without Being a Jerk." "How to Love the Environment Without Being a Jerk." "How to Discuss Abortion (either side) Without Being a Jerk." "How to Care About Sports Without Being a Jerk." Other ideas?

Somebody in the industry, get on this!

9/19/2008 3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home