Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

27% Crazification

Bush just commuted Libby's sentence, which is just like pardoning him only without the scary word "pardon" in it. My prediction is that even his own party is going to turn on him at this point, since staying with Bush when he's helping out state-secret-leaking criminals is going to be bad for the party, Bush is a lame duck anyway, and there's an election coming. How can this NOT look like you're simply protecting your friends with every power you have and saying "fuck you" to the "cleaning up Washington" rhetoric you brung to the dance to begin with?

But it won't make nearly the difference it should, and while it would be thrilling to see actual justice done, I don't think this will lead to the impeachment it should, or even to the lowest-ever approval ratings Bush deserves. My thinking here has been profoundly influenced by this 2005 post by Kung Fu Monkey, which I hereby quote in italics because I don't know how to do text boxes:

John: Hey, Bush is now at 37% approval. I feel much less like Kevin McCarthy screaming in traffic. But I wonder what his base is --

Tyrone: 27%.

John: ... you said that immediately, and with some authority.

Tyrone: Obama vs. Alan Keyes. Keyes was from out of state, so you can eliminate any established political base; both candidates were black, so you can factor out racism; and Keyes was plainly, obviously, completely crazy. Batshit crazy. Head-trauma crazy. But 27% of the population of Illinois voted for him. They put party identification, personal prejudice, whatever ahead of rational judgment. Hell, even like 5% of Democrats voted for him. That's crazy behaviour. I think you have to assume a 27% Crazification Factor in any population.

My Limbaugh-listening twin brother doesn't even believe that Valerie Plame was covert in the first place, and that Libby was the victim of a witch hunt. So he's clearly impervious to new information, having received the Fox-approved inoculation some time ago. But I have some hope that this will lose Bush everybody else. My plea to reality: can we at least see him start to go into the bottom three approvals in history? An administration this corrupt ought to be setting more actual records.

P.S. The Kung Fu Monkey post, in toto, is here.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew M Greene said...

Alas, when you have people like David Brooks making rational-sounding defenses of Bush on today's Times op-ed page, it's hard to hold out "hope that this will lose Bush everybody else."

7/03/2007 9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home