Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

EMERGENCY Update

I've had a day to calmly look at my assets and options, and I just want to thank everyone who offered help. Things actually aren't quite as bad as I feared, and if I'm careful this doesn't have to hurt anyone at all, and I shouldn't even need so much as a credit card.

The way I figure it, I have just over $800 in the bank right now. (I thought I had $300, but that was counting a portion of my monthly rent, which can just as easily be taken out of my deposit.) In two weeks, I'll get paid again and have $1600 minus whatever I've spent in the meantime---let's call it $1500. With that amount of money I can get a place for somewhere between $500-$600 (Totaling to $1000-$1200 total; I've seen tons of such places online at both Craigslist and Sublet.com and I'm REALLY not fussy about amenities) and STILL be able to afford storage ($70 or so, depending on the breaks), AND live a cautious but otherwise survivable existence until my NEXT paycheck on February 15th, which will give me enough money to rent a van or something to do the actual move with. Then, two full months from now, I can actually start living again---only with $150-250 extra dollars a month! That's worth waiting for.

My math may be screwy, but I don't think so. (Experienced movers, let me know if there's anything I'm missing!)

In the meantime, with only $800 on hand, there's literally nothing I can do except hunker down, subsisting on rice and beans, until payday on the 31st. Which means that, since I really CAN'T put money down on a place until the 31st, there's no reason to send me information about cheap apartments, because they'd be gone in the two weeks I have to wait, and anyway I'm not really a competitive renter until I can hand the person the whole caboodle.

What I DO need is to know if you, or anyone you know, has a car or truck I might have access to. Because I suspect I'll need to put a lot of stuff in storage (mostly books and games), and that's the only cheap way I can think of to get it all there. Then, of course, come moving day, I'll also need to move my things (one minimal room worth, really: bed, TV, computer, desk, and clothing; possibly bookshelves) to whatever new place I wind up in. I can even pay, if the person who helps can wait till the next payday.

The other thing I could use is advice on how to move cheaply, and what sorts of things I need to be considering. If anyone has advice, or a link to a moving-helpful website, or hints about cheap storage places...it would all help a lot.

I guess I'll have an update in two weeks, when I hope to take my payday money, strike out on the weekend and find a place. Until then: Fingers crossed!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://nyfsc.org/services/home_sharing.html

1/16/2007 7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nymag.com/realestate/realestatecolumn/16940/

1/17/2007 9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home