Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Busy, Busy!

In addition to finishing my book proposal (which yet another agent has asked for now, bringing me to three) I got an "Upcoming Themes" email from NPR's This American Life, where they tell people what sorts of stories they're looking for and ask for help (references, people to talk to, etc.).

[If you don't know "This American Life," shame on you! It's the most popular NPR podcast on iTunes, so it's easy to find if you're at all Web-savvy. Go there, or to NPR.org, and download the most recent episode---"Supers", about superintendents---or hunt down a few other of my own favorites from the past: "Reruns," "It Seemed Like a Good Idea At the Time," or "Testosterone."]

Anyway, one of their themes was "Quiz Shows," and I said, "If you want to see the ULTIMATE Quiz Show, you've got to do a piece about The MIT Mystery Hunt." They apparently liked my pitch, because I'm being interviewed today on my lunch hour! I'm very excited. This American Life is the home for everyone whose job I lust after: David Sedaris, Sarah Vowell, David Rakoff, etc. So just being close enough to talk to one of the producers has been a great great thrill.

Then after work I head to a Boston-bound bus and I'll be in Boston for the Hunt, staying with one of my best friends from the National Puzzlers League.

So what I'm saying is, I haven't blogged about it much, but so far 2007 is turning out very very well. Now excuse me; I have to pack.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home