Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Monday, January 15, 2007

EMERGENCY---Or, Remember How Things Were Going Well?

Up to now, January has been good to me. Agents have expressed interest in my book, I'm almost done with my proposal, and I just got a story idea accepted by This American Life, which led me to spend this weekend at the MIT Mystery Hunt, where I wound up on the team that actually won. I had every hope that in just a few months, once the book was sold, I'd have a little money I could use to find a cheaper apartment and/or a better-paying job. (Even that's not going too badly; whereas I used to coast into each payday with less than $20 in the bank, this past payday---which, admittedly, came three days sooner than usual---I somehow held onto all of $100.) I figured I'd need maybe $1500 to $2000---I've seen rents as low as $600 with roommates in Brooklyn, and $1500 seems like it'd cover first month, last month, and whatever modest deposit they might require, as well as some relatively minor amount for the move itself, if I wound up having to rent a truck. (I only have one small room full of stuff.) Selling a book seemed a sure way to get at least that much.

But tonight, less than five minutes before I started this post, my chief roommate---the guy I'm subletting from---told me that he has family coming into town and he needs me to move out. I have a month to find a new place.

In a way, I'm surprised I'm not more freaked out than I am. I think I'm experiencing what was meant when Matthew Broderick said in The Freshman (and I think I've quoted this before), "There's a certain freedom that comes from being totally screwed." I have literally no options: I guess I'm moving, whether I have money or not. At worst, I still have a job, and if I wind up on the street (we're thinking worst-case scenarios), I'll be able to save up enough money in about a month and a half to make that $1500 I've needed all this time.

Anyway, I obviously need help, and I could definitely use ideas. (And, for that matter, encouragement.) I've already dunned most of my friends back when I moved here, and have been utterly unable to repay their debts (another thing I was counting on a book sale to rectify), so I'd rather not ask for more money. But if someone has a guest room or a couch they can offer for a month or so---I could even go from place to place, two weeks at a time, if I could find a storage place that wasn't exorbitant---I'll clearly be receptive to it.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Jason Rohrblogger said...

Mi sofa, es su sofa...

-Jason

1/16/2007 12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my friend first moved to NYC, she spent the first few months living in a storage unit.

1/16/2007 5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home