Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Another Dave Fun Quiz (Of Sorts)!

I just read this listing on OkCupid.com, and it was a fun challenge to try to parse the intention behind the grammar. And it gave me an idea for another Dave Fun Quiz: From the sentence structure and use of idoms and cognates, can you figure out what country this woman is from? Read and wonder:

*********************

The cheerful and clever girl. I like to do all cheerful. And very much I love when the man grants all my desires! I would like to become the happiest girl on light. Also I know that for this purpose is necessary to me good the man! I think that I shall find him! Also I hope that it will be already very fast!!! Recently I have left the guy. Now I would not want that my favourite person was young. I think that his this understanding most important in the man. And young men sometimes I do not understand that do! I would want that mine the man was clever and understanding. I hope that he we can make me princess.

**********************

I say this is a quiz "of sorts" because I don't actually know the answer myself. But surely someone out there does! And isn't it fun just to speculate? (For example: I think that, from the way that verbs and adjectives cluster before the nouns, we can rule out a Romance language.)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger I'm GabeZilla. said...

My guess is that she is Chinese, probably from Hong Kong, given the limey-influenced spelling of "favourite".

12/05/2006 11:18 PM  
Blogger Jason Rohrblogger said...

Maybe she speaks Latin? All those verbs are at the end of the sentence...

12/06/2006 2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home