Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Sunday, November 26, 2006

HTLG: How To Make An Evangelical Christian

[This excerpt has been removed to protect the integrity of my work in progress.]

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

There are two major ironies that stand out to me in evangelical culture. The first is that the sort of person you describe in this chapter is a modern Pharisee, without realizing that Jesus spent most of his time railing against just what they've become! Pharisees are the villains of the New Testament in no uncertain terms, much more so than the occupying, godless Romans.

The second is that evangelicals spend so much time obsessing on the Old Testament at all, given that it was explicitly transcended by the New. Personally I think it's because the O.T. is all about nation-building and the N.T. is antithetical to nations of any kind. Any political impulse, any desire to create a structured community, can only really be expressed in an O.T. way, and the O.T. approaches and vocabulary fit best.

--Derek

11/28/2006 12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home