Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Sunday, November 26, 2006

HTLG: Saving The Evangelical Mind

[this post has been removed to preserve the integrity of my work in progress.]

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Very well and passionately argued!

I would add that creationists also cheat themselves out of the experience of wonder at the intricacies and subtleties of evolution, seen as a tool in God's hand. Your contrast to the evangelical position on astronomy is a good one. Evangelicals aren't (and shouldn't be) theologically threatened by the size of the universe or the theory of relativity or the position of the solar system in the galaxy and so on; they simply attribute all of this grandeur to God. Why doesn't evolution go down as easily?

I think that back during the Scopes trial, one major gut-level problem that not just evangelicals but mainstream society had with evolution was the loss of the pride of body image, of having to swallow the idea of sharing ancestors with apes. But even on this point I think most modern evangelicals believe that being made in the "image of God" should be understood as being made in his psychic, not physical, image. They don't believe that God has a body like ours, and they don't believe that Jesus had his human body before the Incarnation.

The only theological issue is whether the biosphere around us arose spontaneously or was ultimately willed. I do believe this remains an issue of faith, but I don't think that should keep evangelicals from joining the rest of the scientists at the table.

--Derek

11/28/2006 12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home