Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Watch Me Regale!

Andy Christie, who runs The Liar Show (www.theliarshow.com) has video of the last show available on that website and his own (www.andychristie.com). So click here and see a short clip of me performing! (The link doesn't go there directly. Scroll down to "In Video Veritas" or click on "See the Video" over in the right-hand column.)

My own thoughts: Actually seeing myself on video is giving me strong second thoughts about the hat. (Am I always in that much shade?) Also, although everyone's stories were great, Mike Daisey's was flat-out hysterical and involved a time when, in high school, he and three fellow drama student were obliged, as a favor to their drama teacher, to go to a local elementary school and perform as the California Raisins. You should have been there.

My story was about going with my fraternal-twin brother to our 20th high school reunion and finally being able to pull a twin-switch. There's an embarrassing moment on Andy's clip where, during the quiz-the-panel segment, someone asks me, "What's your sister-in-law's name?" And I can't remember. (It's Emily. Sorry, Emily!) I'm surprised everyone didn't vote for me as the liar right then and there.

It's a great show. Another one's coming up. Attend! Attend!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

follow your instincts on hat

11/21/2006 10:58 AM  
Blogger Angieb303 said...

Dude, that was great! I was wondering why you didn't say her name. That was sad. I wouldn't have thought you were the liar. I think I would have went with the Raisn Story.

That was awesome. Keep it up!

11/21/2006 6:12 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

I transposed the headline and wondered why you wanted Merl Reagle to watch you.

11/22/2006 12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home