Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Weekend Update

Second week, and my book is at 20,000 words. Yay! At 10,000 words a week (and the bonus fact that November is five weeks long this year and contains that nice vacation section at the end), it looks like I'll be done with How To Love God and Not Be a Jerk at its modest 150-page / 50,000-word size by month's end.

And now I need help. I'd love to post some of what I've written and get feedback. But they're chapter-long in many places, and if I simply post a chapter it'll swamp the whole page. This hasn't stopped me in the past, butI'd like it to stop me this time. So I'll ask: I've noticed that a lot of sites say, "More after the fold"---posting just the first few lines of a post, and then showing the rest when you click on it. How do people do that? I'd like to know.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jason Rohrblogger said...

Dave,

I am an HTML novice, as you have noticed, but I don't think you can do the drop down thing with Blogger. I thing you have to use Wordpress or LiveJournal or some such other blogging service as that...

11/12/2006 3:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dave,

There are pretty good help files through Blogger that will lead you through the whole process, and this might be included (I can't quite remember...) so look at the HELP section on the bottom of the page after login.

BTW, I just finished my fantasy novel! It's 46 chapters, at about 7 pages per chapter, a decent size. Now to edit the damn thing and see if it will get a nibble...

-Bri

11/15/2006 9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You gloat. I can't get over the 10k-word hump. This is particularly alarming as we round out week three ...

11/15/2006 2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home