Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Friday, November 17, 2006

HTLG: Why I, Personally, Am An Atheist

[This post has been removed to preserve the integrity of my book in progress.]

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

evolution happened. that means the people that say it didn't aren't very smart, not that God doesn't exist.

free will and evil exists. That explains Darfur.

"It is in the nature of matter to exist" sounds good but is no more scientific than "God is mysterious."

11/20/2006 5:53 PM  
Blogger beepbeepitsme said...

Thanks for sharing your story.

I think the concepts of a god or gods exist to ease people's existential angst.

Uncertainty is intolerable for some people. Not knowing is quite reasonable for others.

I am one who doesn't claim to know the answers to life,universe and everything, and I don't believe in the literal existence of gods.

They are a mind construct which have become part of our respective cultural memes.

Some people need these memes in order to ease their emotional and psychological insecurities. (So, I think, anyway.)

The more anxious they are, the more they insist that their god, gods exist.

11/21/2006 9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

atheists are no less uncertain about the existence of God than religious fundamentalists, they just have a different opinion

The above statement could also apply to them duh

11/22/2006 8:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

FLANNERY O’CONNOR was my neighbor in Milledgeville in the ’60s. She wrote MANNERS, but she cussed more than me, especially when she caught my boy peeing in her cabbage patch. She attended Sacred Heart Catholic, with the other gossips. Probably called me “dirty.”
www.ruthieblacknaked.blogspot.com

1/19/2007 5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home