Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Al Franken Anagram Quiz

Al Franken was at Borders at Columbus Circle last night, ostensibly promoting the paperback release of The Truth (With Jokes)---which apparently has an entirely new long chapter at the end about everything the Bush folks have done since (and including) Katrina. I recommend his work to everyone, because he's the only political writer I iknow who consitstently seems to actually understand all the players and all the history---and provides honest-to-god citations for his facts, generally from nonpartisan sources. If Republican commentators did this (instead of leading with high moral dudgeon or, say, redacting ), I'd respect them a lot more. There used to be Republicans like that: intellectuals who actually saved money and liked to limit government intrusion in our lives. Why aren't those guys helping to retake the country before we default on all our debt?

Anyway, here's the quick little game (a piece of cake for you National Puzzlers League members). During his talk, he used a sentence that contained two words that are anagrams of each other (like THING and NIGHT). I hereby repeat the sentence with the two words removed and replaced with ONE and TWO. What did he say?

Al: "I don't like the word 'progressive.' We shouldn't be running away from our tradition. We are ONE. And I think ONE should be TWO about calling themselves
ONE."

P.S. And, oh yes, the answer to the last quiz was: if you change the sentence to BOOS TO GREET CHER, the sentence divides into BOOST, OGRE, ETCHER. My NPL friends weren't buffaloed for a second.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's almost, but not quite, unlikely enough to make me wonder if he did it deliberately. (Like the time I wondered if the "Frasier" screenwriter knew what he was doing when he used "nightcap" and "patching" in successive sentences.)

9/27/2006 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home