Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Another New York Liberal



I'm very exercised about the upcoming election, and for a while I was thrilled to make plans to register to vote. But then it struck me that, as a moderate-to-liberal Democrat, this is one place in the nation where my vote is guaranteed not to matter. There are a million proxies in the naked city. I'm registering anyway, but it'll be more like going to jury duty.

Anyway, I was thinking about this the other day when, in the wake of Hugo Chavez's diss of Bush at the UN, I noticed not only how many tabloid papers we have, but how surprisingly conservative they are. Assuming, for the sake of argument, that the New York Times is actually liberal (it sure ain't Mother Jones, is my thinking), there are still a surprisingly large number of genuinely conservative papers in New York: The Wall Street Journal, The New York Sun (great crosswords!), and at least three major tabloids: The New York Post, The New York Daily, and a.m. New York.

That last one I would normally consider only marginally conservative (more like lazy and reactionary and easily distracted), but then, in the wake of the U.N. visit, not only did they get angry at Chavez, but they ran the following article about Bill Clinton's global initiative. Quick quiz: Bill Clinton just announced a global initiative in your city! Whose picture do you put in the article?



(Oh, sure, there are a number of other reasons to avoid putting Clinton's face in the article, but it sure looks weird, doesn't it?)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the New York Times liberal?

Not if Noam Chomksy is right (err, correct).

signed,

Dissertating in Tallahassee

9/27/2006 9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home