Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Craziest Crazy Guy Ever


I was heading way downtown on the 6 train (to see James Braly's amazing "Twenty Years in a Marital Institution") when the guy pictured above came on. That thing near his neck is a set of speakers that began blaring rap, in direct violation of the subway's "No blaring" policy. But the guy was clearly angry and unhinged and spoiling for a fight, so everyone wisely stayed away---especially when they got a closer look at his garb. Because you can't really see it in the picture, but that case on the right contains a live scorpion, and the one on the left contains a live tarantula. In his hand is a bag full of fish, including a tiny shark.

I'm enough of a Southwesterner not to be intimidated. A scorpion that big is unlikely to have a sting worse than a bee's (it's the TINY ones we were always told to worry about), and a tarantula is such a non-threat that I don't think there have been tarantula-related deaths in years that haven't involved being a child or an extremely old person. (Defense tip: wanna know how to break all a tarantula's legs? Drop it from three feet. They're incredibly fragile creatures.)

But still--the idea that I was standing next to a guy who evidently thought that it was intimidating to think that, in a throw-down, he might fling a baby shark at me ... well, that was just weird and creepy enough that I kept my distance. But I did take a picture. I'm an edge kind of guy.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is very strange. Hey You never gave me a call with your free cell time!- Charles M

9/26/2006 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home