Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Monday, July 24, 2006

Trying Hard to Look Like Gary Cooper, That's Me

I'm out of here, and may not post until tomorrow because tonight there's a FREE showing of "High Noon" in Bryant Park, just ten blocks north of where I'm sitting. (By New York blockage, that's literally a five minute walk.) The catch: it's apparently really crowded, and people start saving seats at 5 p.m. for a show that goes on at sundown (between 8 and 9 tonight). I'm bringing a book and planning to hunker. If you hear from me later tonight, you know I got tired of waiting and thought, "Fuck it; I'll just buy the DVD." But I almost can't resist the idea of sticking it out. Who else is even gonna be wearing a cowboy hat? The genre deserves me to be there.

But since I'm leaving and it may be many hours before my next post, this is as good a time as any to note the following discovery: I ride the same bus every day, and it takes the same route every time, and you'd think I'd be accustomed to everything I see. But today I noticed something I hadn't noticed before, for some reason: At Lexington and 77th (too far, alas, for my camera to capture), there's a store called Pick-A-Bagel, and up above the store sign is a smaller sign announcing, "All baking done on promises."

I do that too. It's so much easier than baking based on results. And on that I leave you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever they may promise, Pick-a-Bagel (and Ess-a-Bagel) are my favorites. Much bigger and puffier than H&H (which is OK, too).

7/26/2006 9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home