Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Monday, July 03, 2006

Hilariously Erroneous Commercial Alert

I'm heading out now to hang with some puzzle/game friends, but before I go I just had to post this, because I just saw it and I can't believe such a huge company would make such a huge error.

It's a Kellogg's Special K commercial that features a businesswoman meeting her girlfriends for...oh, let's call it brunch, because it's clearly not morning but for some reason they all order cereal. (Not to give away the ending.) As she approaches, her friends comment, "Wow! She looks really good!" and when they ask, she says her secret is that she's started eating Special K. And then we get this badly-constructed voiceover:

ANNOUNCER: "Studies have shown that women who eat breakfast like the Special K breakfast weigh less."

And as soon as I heard it, I thought, "Wait a minute? If they like it way less, why the hell are they telling us this in the commercial?" I wasn't being snarky. I was actually confused.

Then I saw the bathroom scale on the screen and thought, Damn. That's a double entendre you do not want to get wrong. Watch for it---I'd try Lifetime---before someone wisely pulls it. This is the sort of thing you need to TiVo and send to the web.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home