Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Earworm Mystery Solved!

You may be familiar with this really effective commercial for Dockers that has a guy at an outdoor restaurant, a woman walking by, she bumps into a waiter, and a bottle falls that spins on the table and points to her. Doesn't sound like much, but it's charming and classic and---best of all---it's performed to a slow bluesy song I'd never even heard of called (apparently) "Sunday Kind of Love." ("I want a Sunday kind of love/ The kind that lasts past Saturday night...")

The song has been going through my head, off and on, for three weeks. And the whole time I've been thinking, "My god. This is a nice song and all, but what the hell makes it so catchy?" I am happy to report that I now know: The first two notes of the song are the exact same notes that the subway makes when the doors close! I doubt this was intentional, but if it was: genius!

And if anyone knows any other songs that open with the same two notes ( I want to say it's a simple half-step, as from F to E, but it's been a long time since I've even looked at a keyboard), let me know. It'd be nice to get it out of my mind once its made its point. Also---anyone know who's singing?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen that ad, but I know Etta James does a version of it. (She's the one who sings "At Last.") Should be on her greatest-hits compilation and easily findable on iTunes.

7/01/2006 10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a descending major third (which in the song is actually a descending augmented fourth, because it resolves up). In the key of C, it's G to Eb (D#).

7/02/2006 11:31 AM  
Blogger Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

Thanks, you guys! I'm happier now and full of knowledge. Which helps a little, because I still can't hurl the song from my head.

7/04/2006 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home