Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Editor Seeks Synonyms for "Hooray!"

I just got off the phone with the head editor from Dell Crosswords, and I got the job. Yay! My life has suddenly calmed down and I can stop scrambling from month to month with the risk of constant eviction hovering over me.

The bad news is the job doesn't start until the 15th, so a big thanks again to everyone who's sent me a little getting-through money.

I guess this means my plan until the 15th is a.) finish editing the crossword book (it's due by the 5th anyway), and then b.) use the remaining ten or so days to finish my novel-in-progress so I have TWO books to try and market. It might even be fun to try to sell poetry on the subway for a little cash, the bizarre experience, and the article that might eventually result.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think my body is going to collapse into a brief coma to counteract the last two months of raw unending tension.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'll see you at the holiday party in December.

5/02/2006 1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you! Take a break and relax, you need it.

5/02/2006 1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrabulations

5/03/2006 3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Con-grat-u-freakin-lations! Will you be able to give us tours of the gardens where they grow the letters for word searches? Or the crossword puzzle corrals? Or are the puzzles made the way “Family Guy” is written, by manatees?

No, really, congrats. If you can make it here…

5/03/2006 8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yahoo! Congratulations, Dave. I'm so happy for you!

5/04/2006 1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home