Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Good Things!

I had my interview at Dell today, and I think it went really well. I'll know by tomorrow or Monday, but it seems my experience with puzzles is a real asset, and my interviewer's chief concern seemed to be that I might find the work too boring. I think I convincingly made the opposite case, but we'll see.

Then, while I was in the interview, I actually got my first-ever call from a temp agency! I called them back and they offered me a job reading student essays for the SAT Corporation for $16/hour. (Total take: $1920 over three weeks.) That starts on May 1st, if I haven't been hired by Dell by then.

Then I got home and found my freelance crossword-editing job waiting for me. That puts me a mere fifty hours of work (and sixty days of waiting) away from $1000!

So the good news is, my odds of employment suddenly look probable. The bad news is, none of them will pay me $750 in rent money before the rent money is actually due. But I think I can hold off paying for a little while if I've got actual provable income.

Whew! The moment I get actual consistent money, and pay back everyone I owe money to, I become an honest-to-god New Yorker. I guess the next step is to find a favorite deli.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! I must admit, if these things keep you from having to hawk poetry on the subway, that makes me feel a bit better.

The Dell gig will have its dull moments (try not to kill yourself if you have to proofread a stack of number searches), but nothing you can't handle. Good luck!

4/20/2006 2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, congratulations! I’m happy knowing that I won’t have to trip over you walking to the subway…

4/20/2006 6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home