Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Catch Seniority Fever!

My job for the next half hour or so is to read the Company Policy Manual. And when I ran across this snippet, I had to share:

P***y P**********s provides employees with three paid personal days per calendar year … After 20 years of employment, employees will receive five paid personal days per year, instead of three.

Don’t do me no favors, Mister The Man.

LATER:

Guess who reads blogs looking for references to the company I work for? The company I work for! So I've scrubbed a few specifics, and from here on out I think I'll just be silent about my work life on this blog, the same way I'm silent about my love life. Just know that, after two days, I'm actually having a lot of fun, and I actually don't see things changing in the near future, because the only thing I ever hated about nine-to-fiving was that it ate up all my day and everything was closed when the workday was done. In New York, no such problem obtains---everything cool happens after 6, and if I was free during the day I wouldn't be doing much anyway. So sacrificing those hours to a job I'm good at that actually pays the rent is a no-brainer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home