Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Cinco de Onze!---a brief thought

I didn't really celebrate Cinco de Mayo, because for some reason nobody in Washington Heights really raises the roof for it. I guess it's not as big among Dominicans as it is in the Southwest. (Either that, or it's a million times harder to get fireworks, which I can imagine.) However, in an effort to find something undistracting to listen to today while continuing to plug away at this oppresively sloppy book of crossword puzzles, I discovered that my cable system has several channels that play only music---including what it calls Latin Pop. Bueno! Better late than never. I listened to it all day, and I invented only one thing, which I hereby share with everyone.

The Spanish-Language Rock Music Drinking Game

1. Whenever someone says "corazon," take a drink.

That's it, but it's enough. What's great about it is that you don't even need to know the language. But take small sips, or you'll have the spins in ten minutes. You can always hear it, because it's impossible to hide. It lumbers along in every lyric like a Mylar balloon stapled to an eel. Face it: the Spanish language got screwed when it was inventing words for its love poetry. "Corazon" is as crappy a rhyme word in Spanish as "love" is in English. But the good news is I got some crosswords done. I only wish I'd had a little more time to write posts. This crossword book is the polar opposite of the bee's knees.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bird's elbows?

5/11/2006 12:20 PM  
Blogger Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

Ooh! I like it! The closest I could come was "The letter Y's crotch." Advantage: sounds unpleasant. Disadvantage: makes no sense, and doesn't rhyme.

5/11/2006 2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home