Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Three Cheers!

Three things are cheering me up right now.

1. ) I sold the car! It's funny. I couldn't get any love when it was at $800, but the moment I dropped it to $650, the phone wouldn't stop vibrating. And I don't know what this means exactly, but the people who responded were named Miguel, Luis, Pablo, Jorge, Carlos, Miguel again, and Luis again. If these guys are anything like the Miguels and Pablos I want to junior high with, my car has already been pimped beyond the dreams of gaucherie.

2.) I got a freelance gig! My friend Ellen put me in touch with a guy who needs a book of crosswords edited. It's 50 hours of work for $1000, which means I've got another month of rent potentially covered. The only downside is that it takes them sixty days to turn around payment. But still--it's my first job in New York, and I feel a whole lot happier now.

3.) Right now I'm watching 1958's St. Louis Blues, a biopic of W. C. Handy that not only stars (and features plentiful singing by) Nat King Cole, but co-stars Cab Calloway, Ella Fitzgerald, Mahalia Jackson, and most especially Eartha Kitt, who is every bit as sultry and wonderful and dominant onscreen as Lauren Bacall. But what's even cooler is that the theme of this evening is "movies where someone goes temporarily blind." Next up is something called The Invisible Ray.

I guess what I'm saying is, life is temporarily good. Now all they need is an Eartha Kitt festival.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Guess you won’t be needing the 50 Favorite Excel Tips I picked up for you from the guy vending books from a blanket on Seventh Avenue. Oh, well…

As far as Eartha Kitt goes, Michael and I saw her at a fundraiser a couple of years ago, with her entourage of buff young men. She seemed inordinately fond of the buffet table.

4/06/2006 12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, great! If it's the same author I worked with, he tends to assume things without checking so you'll need to verify the clues in a reputable source. Makes it more fun, when there are actually errors to correct.

4/06/2006 1:20 AM  
Blogger Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

Actually, Ryan, I still want to learn Excel. So keep the book. (And thanks for picking it up!) Lord knows I might need to go on the slave block again.

And thanks again, Ellen. I'll probably be contacting you for more details about the job. (The guy said "solve the puzzles to test them," but wouldn't it be smarter to just flip back and forth from clues to answers? If he's not giving me the answer pages I could be in big trouble . . . )

4/06/2006 12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You solve the puzzles, which is the easiest way of making sure there isn't some glaring thing wrong, like misnumbering or a missing clue. Then check the solved puzzle against the printed answer. Then read through each clue carefully to make sure it's accurate, using reference materials. Don't give the author the benefit of the doubt.

4/06/2006 4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home