Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Friday, March 31, 2006

Laughter, the Best Epidural

In the comments on my "Help Dave Live!" post, I got one from my friend Jim in Kansas City who makes a few hilarious notes and then says, "Sorry I was no help." I figured I had to promote this reply from a comment to a front-page post.

Actually, Jim, you're a tremendous help, and here's why. My brother and his wife had a baby yesterday in an emergency C-section (everyone's fine now) and the best staff member during the process was a doctor who kept my sis-in-law calm simply by telling wry jokes. ("Here comes the worst part of the epidural," he announced soberly. "I'm about to dab you with a sponge.") Having a guy there who didn't panic and kept everyone's spirits up allowed my brother---for whom this is all brand new---to feel less overwhelmed and more emotionally in control of the whole bewildering experience. And that's what reading your post has done for me. So thanks!

P.S. Welcome to the world, Benjamin! And enjoy your life of leisure, you cute little parasite! I recommend you learn Excel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home