Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Monday, November 24, 2008

Holiday Plans (Some Blegging)

It looks like I'll be visiting Chicago for Thanksgiving (coming in Wednesday, flying out Monday), and then I'll be in Tucson for ten days or so, from around the 9th to around the 19th.  

The reason for this schedule is so that, this year, I can finally have my first ever truly New York Christmas, which means two things: 1. celebrating Festivus in its natural environment (NYC) on Dec. 23rd, and 2. celebrating Christmas by eating Chinese food and going to the movies.

This leads me to the following requests:

Request #1.) Chicago people: contact me!  I've got a lot of friends there, but it's been awhile and I have nobody's phone number.  So if by some chance you're reading this, email me or something.  I'm not quite sure how to do it, but other people have managed, so I'm sure it's possible.

Request #2.) If anyone knows of something happening for Festivus, let me know!  I imagine that there will be some large thing in Brooklyn announced in The L magazine or something, but still; I'm always willing to hear suggestions.  What if I go to a plain old Festivus party in Park Slope and then discover there was a Festivus concert in Queens featuring the Beastie Boys?  It's my first time; I'd like to do it well.

Request #3.)  This is actually the biggest problem.  I'd like to "eat Chinese food and go to the movies," but I assume most Jews do this with other Jews.  I don't go to Temple, and most of my Jewish friends are actually headed out of town.  Does anyone have any ideas for how to lamprey myself onto an existing celebration?  Are there groups (like, I don't know, maybe knitters or someone else with a Meetup or other overt social profile) who might be doing something like this?  I won't feel truly New York-y until I can pull this off, so this is actually psychologically important.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

How fun! We're having a Festivus party here in Portland in early December. Just today we bought a metal pole and a Christmas tree stand.

11/23/2008 10:08 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

Santacon. Google it and go. When else can you slap a "Naughty" sticker on someone's ass and get away with it? (or a "Nice" one, for that matter.)

11/23/2008 10:35 PM  
Blogger Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

Santacon! Great idea...and it's in New York City on the 13th, when I'm in Tucson. Dammit! Next year, I guess.

11/24/2008 6:39 AM  
Blogger Andrew M Greene said...

Chinese food and a movie, in my experience, were never planned, they just sorta happened because, well, what else was there to do?

11/24/2008 7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won your donation at the Moth Ball on November 18th. I'm looking forward to your specially written invitation/greeting card. Haven't decided yet.

12/15/2008 5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home