Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Wham, Obam, Thank You Maam

For some reason I decided to get dressed up a little for voting day.  I put on a hat, a nice new suit jacket I just bought in San Francisco, and shaved.  It took a little extra prep time, but it was coming on 8am, so I figured even if the line was hours long, I'd still get in eventually.  I brought a book--appropriately titled And Then We Came to the End--and an iPod, and a bottled water and a snack, just in case it took the hours I'd been warned about.

I needn't have worried.  Although some people have reported lines around the block, here the lines were all inside.  It still took a good deal of time (there were two booths for the entire 35th District), but I got in and out in about 45 minutes, which is less time than it took to vote for Kerry back in Tallahassee, where the lines really were out the door and down the steps.  As proof, I offer this photo of the polling place.  Notice the no lines--although I think this says more about its extensive interior space than it does about everyone's excitement.


Speaking of which, it was over rather quickly, and wasn't quite as magical as I had hoped.  I mean, yay Obama and all that, but for some reason I expected to be moved--this is a huge vote and a historic opportunity--and instead I simply felt, "Well, it's about fucking time."  Maybe that's just as well.  Common sense shouldn't feel heroic.  It should feel common.  

Of course there are perks to make this day feel more special.  But please note that while Ben and Jerry's is offering free ice cream, and Krispy Kreme is offering free donuts, and Starbucks is offering free coffee, no one is as committed as Babeland, whose stores are actually offering free sex toys ($15-20 value each)!  Let's hope they don't go bankrupt.  For today at least, and to keep Babeland solvent, I recommend widespread partnered sex in the streets, sort of like V-E Day.    

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home