Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Friday, November 07, 2008

Brief Thought on the Inevitability of Gay Marriage

I was quite depressed that California passed Proposition 8 to deny gay people the right to marry.  But after a moment's thought, I believe I can prove that this is only a temporary problem.

The main data point I have here is what we saw in the first two terms with Clinton.  When he ran against Bush Sr., one of Bush's campaign aides turned out to be gay, and Bush let him go, for his obvious political conflict with the campaign.  A mere four years later, another gay person showed up in Bob Dole's campaign (it's like they're everywhere) and Bob Dole didn't fire him, though he clearly wanted to.  In four years of Clinton, prejudice against gay people suddenly became political suicide.  

I predict it'll happen again.  Just by virtue of having a Democratic majority everywhere, the Democratic platform will pretty much be the thing people talk about until everyone's bored, and "gay marriage" won't seem any more horrifying than "green" or "bailout."  It won't exactly sweep the nation, but in urban places like California it definitely ought to change.   

I wouldn't say this, by the way, if the country were incredibly opposed to gay marriage, like they are to having, say, an atheist for President.  But the Prop 8 vote was split almost 50-50, so the opposition is hanging by their fingertips.  An Obama Presidency is just the sort of thing to make their grip loosen.  (Also, the anti-gays tend to be older; in four years there will be thatmany less of them, and a significant number of new voting-age citizens with gay friends and no particular hangups.)

It's a temporary setback, but the emphasis is on "temporary."  I'll even lay money on it.

4 Comments:

Blogger ttractor said...

huh. so, then, how many people have to die before gay folks get the right to marry, do you think?

I must say though, driving through San Francisco the day before the election,there were people on EVERY street corner with "No on 8" signs. I cried out of wonder and overwhelmedness.

11/07/2008 2:09 PM  
Blogger LKT said...

I absolutely agree. I'm here in California where a lot of us are very depressed about the vote on 8 (and I don't think the No folks ran a very effective campaign, tending to preach to the choir with their ads, imo). It's a tough and depressing setback, but not permanent. I think having gay couples be visible and normal is the key.

11/07/2008 4:22 PM  
Blogger alston green said...

Keith Olbermann, comments about Prop 8 says it best for me especially coming from a heterosexual.

MSNBC Keith Olbermann on Prop 8, Marriage and more (this is on youtube if this link does not load)
I was having a discussing with a friend about how the first settlers came to this country to fell religious oppression and self expression .Look what's happening now I guess the separation of church and state is becoming a myth. Let hope the country wakes up as they have about electing our first African American president

11/18/2008 11:00 PM  
Blogger destinyj said...

I have been using Google Reader so I finally have a way to easily keep up on all my blogs. I have been going crazy trying to think of ones that I have found interesting in the past, but was too lazy to go visit outside of Livejournal. Tonight I remembered yours! Woohoo!

In regards to gay marriage..... I have been watching to HBO series Big Love about polygamists and I really can't find any objection to it. I mean seriously, what business is it of mine if that is part of someone's lifestyle? Now I don't know how insurance-wise or state funds-wise or tax-wise that should go, but I believe that if people feel the need, they should easily be able to marry whomever they want, as long as all consent and are of legal age.

1/03/2009 8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home