Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Answers to the Greeting Card Theme Code Quiz

What the hell; since I'm posting anyway, here are the answers to the quiz from last week. They're in the Comments.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

1. HMYM = How Much You Mean
2. WHAP = Wish for Happiness
3. SLAM = Slam/Insult humor
4. FRND = Friendship
5. THOY = Thinking of You
6. QLIF = Quote About Life
7. WSUC = Wish for Success
8. TYDS = Things You Do and Say
9. GENW = General Wish
10.ENCG = Encouragment

Notes:
SLAM is any kind of insult EXCEPT an age slam, which has the theme code AGE. I could have also thrown in GGAG and CGAG, which are "gift gag" and "card gag," respectively. A gift gag is any joke in the form of "I was going to get you x for your [occasion of card]...but y!" A card gag is any joke where there's something wrong with the card--usually because it's been tapped (i.e. glued) shut, though sometimes the writing is upside-down or something else has gone wrong.

General Wish is a catchall for anything that's not specifically wishing for Happiness, Success, Joy (WJOY) or Luck (LUCK). "Happy Birthday" counts as a General Wish, because the happiness doesn't actually register as much more than punctuation.

Encourage is not to be confused with Cope (COPE). Encouragement is lighter: "Things sure do suck sometimes. Hang in there!" Cope is for more serious things "During this time of terrible trial, our prayers are with you."

As I note in the book, since Cope and Encouragement are actual captions, I'm not sure why they bother to have theme codes, since all Cope cards are COPE and all Encouragement cards are ENCG by definition. I would like to suggest that both of these be replaced by RTFC (Read the Fucking Caption). But I have little hope for my proposal's adoption.

6/29/2008 3:17 PM  
Blogger Trip said...

Could you give an example of "Things You Do and Say"? The category makes it sound pretty maudlin, but I'm having a hard time imagining exactly what it might entail.

6/29/2008 4:24 PM  
Blogger LKT said...

Hey, Dave!

What's the name of your quiz on Facebook? I can't find it (and I didn't want to post this question under the comments on the relevant post because I didn't want to get the answers).

Laura

7/01/2008 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home