Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

WHEW! (Part One)

Remember how I was going to look for a job on Monday? Well, it turns out that an agent asked to see my proposal on Friday, and a FURTHER look at the damn thing revealed a bunch of glaring errors. I've been fixing it up, and today--a banner day in my personal history--I have FINALLY sent out the complete proposal! It's 88 pages long. I like it. Whew!

I also sent queries to eight agents, and one of them has also requested it. So I guess we'll see what happens. The last time I did this dance--about a year ago--I had only one This American Life appearance to my credit. Maybe things will change this time around. Wish me luck!

(The nice thing about this, by the way, is that it completely relaxes me in terms of getting a job. Before, whenever I've had a job, I've always been thinking, "Dammit, I really need to be working on this book instead!" And although I've always thought I should probably do the New York Actor Thing and get two or three part-time jobs, I kept thinking, "Dammit, I need to have time to write!" Now, finally, Job #1 is actually done, and I can relax and look for actual employment without this particular monkey on my back. What a relief!)

Tomorrow: job research. Wednesday: the job search! For real this time.

P.S. "WHEW! Part Two" will be when I get an actual agent. That may take a while, of course.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dave, Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on finishing your book proposal!!

3/19/2008 10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home