Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Bread on the Subway

C train, 1:30, right around the Lafayette station in Brooklyn.

I was coming home after a night of weirdness--not only did I see a burlesque show, which I haven't done in ages, but the train got stopped for about fifteen whole minutes as the cops pulled some guy off in the car ahead of us, then strode through the cars keeping some sort of order--but as I left and got onto my new train (when a train get delayed, it often makes up for it by suddenly going express, and I needed the local), I walked in and saw this loaf of bread sitting on a seat. You can't tell from the photo, but the entire rest of the car was full--everyone was just giving this mysterious bread wide berth. (It was oat-topped, whole grain, unsliced, and unwrapped.) Next to it was an unused MetroCard, which might have been worth some money, but no one had touched that either and neither did I. I'm about to go to sleep now, but I'm still worrying this over in my head, so don't be surprised if I wake up tomorrow with an idea for a very stupid Hitchcock thriller.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good thing you left that bread alone, man. It had a tough night. It broke up with its girlfriend, had its bike stolen, and was hassled by the cops before it got on that subway. If you had tried to mess with it or take its metro card, you mighta got cut. I hear those whole grains are some crazy mothers.

3/08/2008 4:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shoot, THAT's where I left that loaf.

3/12/2008 12:22 AM  
Blogger alston green said...

Dave, perhaps you can write lyrics for Kristen whose music careeer as it suddenly propels since here tryst with dethroned Gov Elloitt Spitzer

3/14/2008 7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How lucky for you, you've been witness to the work of the Baked Goods Fairy! My friend and I have been tracking her presence for years.

3/23/2008 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home