Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Sunday, March 02, 2008

What I Learned This Weekend By Editing Crossword Puzzles

*There is no country or region called NATAL anymore. Technically, the area is now called KwaZulu-Natal.

*CARESS is not technically clued as "Dove competitor." Today, Caress and Dove are both owned by the Unilever Corporation.

*The EXPOS are now the Nationals, and they're in Washington, not Montreal.

*The capital of Guam is no longer AGANA, though the name "Agana" is still used for the river, the bay, and the nearby area Agana Heights.

*ARCO is no longer a "L.A.-based gas giant," but is a subsidiary of British Petroleum.

*"Time Magazine's Person of the Year 2005" is not BONO per se, but Bono and Bill and Melinda Gates ("The Altruists").

*Most strangely, Steffi GRAF does not, as of this posting, have a page on Wikipedia. (Or rather, she has one that you can see right here, but it contains no main body text, no links, no search window, and is basically fucked up.)

...And now you know as much as I do.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Chad E Burns said...

It looks OK to me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steffi_Graf

I thought it was pretty comprehensive--maybe I am just missing something. :)

3/03/2008 8:42 AM  
Blogger Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

Oh, of course it's been fixed, right after I no longer need it! Well, for what it's worth, it was nothing but the right-hand column for two whole days. And her official website is in German. I just had to settle for a very general clue in the end. Oy!

3/03/2008 12:18 PM  
Blogger Chad E Burns said...

that sucks. :(

3/03/2008 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home