Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Two More Teensy Things

I really have to start editing. (The four Benadryl are really putting a brick in my get-up-and-go.) But before I leave, I realized something that might be of interest: This is the 28th, and it marks the last day I have free (i.e., prepaid) unlimited subway rides. After this, it's $10 for 6 rides (unless I want to spring for the monthlong pass). Which means that my money will literally be dwindling every day. I expect a certain amount of panic to set in, which will help my job search immensely.

Also, I just ran across this interesting article in the New York Times that asks, "Can John McCain run for President, since he was born in a foreign country?" The answer seems to be a pretty resounding yes, but it's an occasion for an intriguing history of other candidates who've faced the same problem. And it made me think of something else that isn't addressed in the article: Although it seems that a child born to Americans, even if the Americans are abroad (as in McCain's case), almost certainly has a legal right to run for President, what if you were adopted by Americans but born overseas?

Personally, I think the requirement of being born here is kind of silly. Adoptees, naturalized citizens, anyone who identifies reasonably as an American ought to be able to run for President, or what kind of democracy are we? Why not let Schwarzenegger run if he wants to? America's been good to him; he's not going to sell us out to the Austrians.

There must have been some reason for the Founders to put this in the Constitution at the time--some then-reasonable fear or some closely-followed precedent. I'd check it out, but I've got work to get to.

UPDATE: Oh my god! I just remembered that this is a leap year, so we have a February 29th! I have a whole 'nother day with my Metro Card! Hallelujah!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Chad E Burns said...

Actually I have always heard through my History courses that the American born citizen requirement was put into place by the enemies of Alexander Hamilton to keep him from being President--he was born in Jamaica--they thought he was too smart, too close to Washington, and too "federalistic"--they were mostly southern agrarian slaveholders. BTW--he was also a bastard--but I guess they didnt feel that should be a constitutional requirement. LOL :)

2/29/2008 10:34 AM  
Blogger Chad E Burns said...

How much is a monthly pass?
Maybe your blog fans could all pitch in and buy you one--in exchange for reading all your stuff for free??

2/29/2008 10:36 AM  
Blogger Hollie said...

I was hoping we could elect Cesar Milan president (the Dog Whisperer). This nation would benefit from his "calm assertive energy." But then I found out he was born in Mexico. I still might have the "Cesar for President" t-shirts printed up anyway.

3/01/2008 11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home