Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Monday, October 22, 2007

Two New Excerpts Posted

I just posted two new excerpts that I wrote this weekend. They're rough, contain typos, and are inelegantly spaced. But I wanted to get them out before leaving for work, and now I have to go to work and don't have time to fix them or add handy hyperlinks. I hope to improve this at lunch. In the meantime, I welcome your comments and suggestions.

UPDATE: I fixed the spaces and added a few hyperlinks so the whole thing should be much easier to navigate now. And now...off to work again! I swear this never ends.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

This HAS TO be hard to write, maybe write ten books (or 66 oh no he didn't) that way it's not all at once because this chapter seems to cover a lot of random different stuff, or maybe split it in two - the characteristics, and the first part with the questionarre - that way both could be a little easier?

10/22/2007 7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just love to hear yourself talk, don't you? You are such a boor.

10/23/2007 8:57 AM  
Blogger that atheist guy said...

And you just love to post anonymous insults on the internet. Go see a therapist. You are wasting your life.

10/23/2007 3:13 PM  
Blogger that atheist guy said...

I liked this line:

"Although I imagine if you know a lot of the one, you might not know any of the other."

Good stuff, keep it coming! As a "natural born atheist" who never went to church, this stuff is fascinating. I didn't really know there was a difference between evangelicals and fundamentalists until I read this.

As for the word itself, Wikipedia says, "The word evangelist comes from the Koine Greek word εὐαγγέλιον (transcribed as "euangelion") via Latin "Evangelium", as used in the canonical titles of the four Gospels, authored by Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John (also known as the Four Evangelists). The Greek word εὐαγγέλιον originally meant a reward for good news given to the messenger (εὔ = "good", ἀγγέλλω = "I bring a message"; the word angel is of the same root) and later "good news". The latter term gives rise to the word "Gospel"."

Interesting!

10/24/2007 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home