Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Friday, October 19, 2007

Dictionary of Dreams

In dreams, you rarely get to actually read the content of books you pick up, but somehow I managed last night. I had received (in the dream) an email from some friend who said, "All yesterday I was all in a hossup about my upcoming trip."

Hossup? So--still in the dream, mind you--I looked up "hossup" in my dictionary, and it said, "interj. A term for announcing one's intention, popularized by Wild Bill Hickok. see also dibs."

I'm sorry to relate that the word does not exist in any dictionary I own. Which I guess is good, because a word like that really deserves a better definition. Also, my friend was apparently misusing the term, and I'm glad to have spared her official public embarrassment.

AFTERNOTE: I don't know why I'm bothering to mention this, but a few days ago another word popped into my head. I was shopping for bar soap, and for some reason I thought of the word PESSARY. Perhaps it had been a possible Scrabble play or something,but I honestly didn't know anything about the word except that it probably existed. (And, upon further reflection, becomes PECCARY when you change its esses to cees.)

So that one I did look up in my handy New International Third, and found that it is, and I quote, "a vaginal suppository." Eesh! But I have to add this: the etymology notes that the word comes from a term for "a stone used in backgammon." Man, I hope they're washing the pieces thoroughly.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Sneb said...

Good story. I'm often frustrated how I can't read in dreams. The words are either indistinct or seem to change when I look away. I like how you looked up the word in the dream. Very often I "wake up" in a dream, and tell people about the weird dream I just had, only to really wake up later, and tell the same story over again.

Did you google "hossup". I got 51 hits, and #4 was this blog post. There's even a hossup.com parked at GoDaddy. If only I hossuped registering hossup.com sooner!

10/19/2007 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home