Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Friday, October 19, 2007

Dave at the Dentist: A Fun Quiz

We haven't had a fun quiz in a while. But this one was inspired by a trip I took yesterday to see the dentist. (And in case anyone's curious, I'm in great shape. The guy kept saying, "Wonderful! These are beautiful! Amazing!"--I started getting embarrassed. Afterwards it struck me that "dentist" is probably a really good profession if you're a tooth fetishist.)

While I was sitting in the lobby, however, I had a host of magazines next to me, and I realized that not one of them was interesting to me. They were seven to ten deep, practically spilling over the floor, and I thought, "Wow! Look at how many things I don't care about!" I almost felt bad for all those magazine writers and editors, slaving away at a job that I was destined to never appreciate. I even wrote all the magazine titles down: Family Circle, Hollywood Life, New York Home, Traditional Home, Outdoor Life, Child, Where to Retire, Money, Country Home, Saveur, PC Magazine, Details, O (The Oprah Magazine), Islands, Kiplinger's Personal Finance, Men's Vogue, Business Week, Forbes, and Family Fun.

So here's the quiz: match each of the magazines below with the article that I resisted reading. For a bonus, which article DID I finally cave in and read before the dentist called me?

1. Details
2. Family Circle
3. Family Fun
4. Forbes
5. Islands
6. Men's Vogue
7. Money
8. New York Home
9. O
10. Outdoor Life
11. Saveur
12. Traditional Home


a. "50 Names You Should Know In New York Design"
b. "Billionaire of Weed Killer"
c. "Improve Your Relationship Without Saying a Word"
d. "Is Ted Haggard Really Straight Now?"
e. "Marvelous Muffins"
f. "New England's Best Clam Shacks"
g. "Palau: Where Heaven Fell Into the Sea"
h. "Savannah Chic"
i. "Speared by a Marlin"
j. "The Ultimate Flat Screen"
k. "Wanted: Better Grades"
l. "When Target Funds Miss the Mark"

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As tempting as the marlin headline is, I'll go with the Details/Haggard combo.

10/19/2007 9:47 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey said...

Hm. I know which article I would have read...mmm, muffins...I'll go ahead and match 12-h (Traditional Home/Savannah Chic).

10/19/2007 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home