Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

It's My Birthweek(s)!

I emerged from Vermont this weekend--ending a vacation so lazy and idle, so outside of time, that it practically counts as a second womb (all I did was hang with my high school friend Cary and eat junk food for four solid days. Scoff if you wish, but we beat Halo 3!)--and then got to work where my computer's hard drive died yesterday in a sudden blue-screened whimper. So today, with a new hard drive in place, I'm slowly reassembling my entire workplace from scratch: reloading mail preferences, getting coworkers' IM addresses, et cetera. It's like someone stole my entire life-wallet; you forget how much stuff computers remember for you.

Tomorrow is my 39th birthday, and I'm feeling unusually sensitive to rebirth-y themes all around me. Not due to any mid-life crisis, I think--you have mid-life crises when you're not where you wanted to be, and I feel more or less on track at the moment. (Thanks, This American Life! You've spared me the cost of a compensatory sportscar!) But just because Vermont showed me what a completely different life would be like. (St. Alban's is a town of 8,000, and it's possible that the only reason people live there is because of the fall foliage.) And because reassembling my computer is forcing me to reexamine everything I have attached myself to as I reattach again.

Last year I had a wonderful girlfriend who very generously did the organizing and made my birthday an actual event at a cool location with some close friends. This year I'm solo, and I'm bad at organizing anything. So I've decided that my birthday is going to last all week, starting with last weekend (Vermont! My friend Cary, whom I've known for 25 years! Halo!) and continue tonight (I'm going to a storytelling show and will definitely go out afterwards with all the great folks from the scene), and then proceed all the way to this weekend, because I'll be traveling to New Haven with The Moth to tell my story again ("The Most Heartwarming Wet T-Shirt Contest Ever"), and there I will meet my most recent friend, a woman I'll call D. who has been brightening my life for the past few months. From old and comfy to new and challenging; from stasis to motion; from silly games to paid professionalism! That's a hell of a birthday arc, and it's worth spending a whole week-plus on. Whew!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! I am entirely in favor of birthdays lasting at least a week, maybe even all month.

10/02/2007 2:35 PM  
Blogger Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

I'm with you, as long as the people around you aren't harping on the actual number that whole time. That would probably get to me eventually and I might break down and buy a sportscar after all.

10/03/2007 6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, you're going to be in New Haven, ten miles from my home, on the weekend I'm in Boston.

10/03/2007 7:03 AM  
Blogger Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

Well, look on the bright side: tickets are thirty dollars and I don't get comps. Apparently the Long Wharf is hoity-toity. Enjoy your savings.

10/03/2007 7:50 AM  
Blogger Jason Rohrblogger said...

Happy 29th!

10/03/2007 6:23 PM  
Blogger Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

Thanks! You know, it feels like I've been 29 *forever*...!

10/03/2007 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home