Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Monday, April 09, 2007

AFK. BRB...

...Is what I should have said, like, a few weeks ago. Sorry for the delay. "Dave! What happened?" you might ask. The short answer is, I think I freaked out a little when I realized that I had been in Manhattan for a year and was not appreciably closer to having an agent than I had been when I first arrived. "Time's a-wastin!" said my conscious mind, and my reptile brain said, "Let's just hunker down under a rock somewhere until our T. Rex sense stops tingling."

So I've been staying indoors, not blogging, not dating, not doing much at all except the occasional storytelling outing, and---this is key---fixing my book proposal, which I see now has numerous flaws. I have to say it felt really good, and I told myself, "I'm not going to post on my blog again until I feel like I want to, not just because I have to update every day." And what better day to resume than Easter? How about the day after Easter? We work with what we have.

Thanks to everyone who expressed concern, and thanks especially to my old roommate Brian, who said, "You're a natural blogger." For some reason that phrase resonated more than any other I heard in my phone calls and e-mails. I might not blog quite as much as I used to, but I do feel like the vacation has left me energized. And boy, do I have STORIES! And pictures. And bar napkin cartoons. But more on that later. For now, I have to get to work, and I just wanted to say, "Hi! You can expect more now."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Angieb303 said...

Welcome back!

4/09/2007 5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home