Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Friday, February 16, 2007

Water! And Pressure! And Warmth!

I imagine I'll have more time to discuss my new place once I actually get my computer hooked up at home, but can I say, I'm already in love with the shower. Crazy in love! I was in an abusive relationship with my old shower---it would turn randomly hot and scald me, and yet I kept coming back---and so it's an absolute miracle to me just to have a shower that works properly. Did I say works? It's bursting with competence! This is an old rent-controlled building, which means the shower was built back in the fabled days of water luxury, when public fountains roamed freely in the wild, and carriage traffic would be held up for days sometimes as they waited for a fjlokk of glaciers to pass. (A fjlokk is a group of glaciers.) No water-saving nozzles in these sturdy pipes, no way! You want water? Turn it on and stand back! You want hot water? Turn on the hot water and look out! Want warm water? Turn on the cold and let the two temperatures battle to a violent synthesis! All at such high speed that I sort of suspect we're hooked into a fire hydrant somehow. But I'm not complaining! I've lived in the place for two solid nights now, and I can already tell that showering here is going to be like getting a massage every day before work.

Now all I need is an adapter. And internet access. And then I'll feel like I'm human and settled again. Oh---and I should mention that the fact that I'm now on the 1 train puts me in direct contact with THREE of my favorite dive bars: The Patriot (at Chambers), Rudy's (at 50th), and Yogi's/The Bear Bar (at 76th). My weekends just got a whole lot simpler.

Next up: unpacking and organization. But I'm already in a very very very good mood.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home