Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Thursday, August 10, 2006

More Serendipity Or Something Like It

When I was first thinking about what I'd do when I moved to New York City, one idea I'd toyed with was doing country-western hip-hop. A good friend of mine in Tallahassee, who had been a successful hip-hop performer in Chicago (hi, Sherod!), told me over and over again, "You've got to be true to who you are, so you don't come across as phony. I think your strongest angle is storytelling." He was mostly afraid of my seeming corny (a good thing to worry about), and he adjured me, over and over again, to listen to Slick Rick, who was famous for that style of rapping, and pointed out that it was storytelling that made Eminem a success. Rick, a huge influence on Eminem, was one of the best practitioners of the early form of hip-hop, which was funny, celebratory, and about as non-gangsta as it gets. "It's a shame you never got to see him live," Sherod said. "He's an amazing peformer and you could learn a lot." But I only heard a few tracks and have never owned any of his albums.

So I'm reading the a.m.NewYork newspaper this morning, and there in their "New York 4Free" section they announce that Slick Rick is performing live tonight at 7 pm in Marcus Garvey Park at 125th! I didn't even know he was out of prison! The announcement actually says, "7 p.m. Marcus Garvey Park. Hip-hopper Rick brings it with the art of storytelling." Isn't it funny how I keep running into that word?

Anyone wants to join me, shoot me an e-mail. I've got to get back to work now. Lunchtime is over.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be right over to join you tonight...

-Jason

8/10/2006 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home