Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Serendipity And Then Some

First, a reminder: I'm an ex-fundamentalist puzzle writer who is fascinated by evolutionary science, and I'm currently planning a mystery novel---my first-ever foray into the genre---where the sleuth is an imam. Got all that?

Then get this: Yesterday, as I was going to the bus, I noticed out by the street trash that someone had left a bag full of old books. After making sure the bag was fresh and un-peed-on, I rummaged. Here's what I found:

Mathematical Puzzles of Sam Loyd, by Martin Gardner. (The first puzzle book I ever read.)
Why I Am Not a Christian, by Bertrand Russell. (Never read it, always intended to.)
A small textbook called The Process of Evolution.
A View From the Eye of the Storm: Terror and Reason in the Middle East; a Scientist's Vision of Hope, by Haim Harari.
And three modern mystery novels: The Gondola Scam by Jonathan Gash, The Fear Sign by Margery Allingham, and The Death of an Irish Tinker by Bartholomew Gill.

So now I've got seven new books in my library, and all of them free! Also, I suspect someone in my building would make a good drinking buddy. Thanks, universe!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, I recently found a stack of Penhouse Magazines from 1989. I haven't left the bathroom for three days. I think the universe has distinctly different plans for us...

8/10/2006 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home